TheraSauna® is made with non-toxic and non-allergenic Aspen Hardwood
Infrared energy heats objects (like your body and the inside wood of the sauna) directly and penetrates up to 2 inches below the surface. Cedar and redwood contain a natural insecticide within the wood called turpines. When these naturally occurring oils within the wood are heated, they gas off a substance called cedrine. Cedrine attacks the central nervous system of insects and kills them. It can also cause vomiting and convulsions in humans. TheraSauna® is made of Aspen, which is a clear wood grown at elevations where the trees do not produce an insecticide. Aspen is 99% non-toxic and non-allergenic.
Health concerns related to different types of woods used for saunas
- Aspen – No health effects.
- Cedar – Asthma, allergic contact dermatitis sensitizer, decrease in lung function, eye irritation, conjunctivitis, rhinitis, convulsions, vomiting and effects on the central nervous system.
- Hemlock – Skin irritation, decreased lung function, rhinitis.
- Basswood – Skin irritation.
- Birch – Irritant dermatitis.
- Spruce – Skin irritation, wood pulp workers disease.
- Oak – Nasal Cancer.
- Pine – Skin Irritation.
- Poplar – Contact dermatitis, rhinitis.